I know. Stop the presses. For some reason, to some people this seems like the end of the world. I mean to us it just seems natural. We started dating when we were 16, and then we went to different colleges. Since we graduated, we have now been living together for 2 years.
Do we want to get married? Yes, when the time is right. We both know that we are the only one for each other, and feel that not much will change for us as a couple when we do get married. But do we feel rushed down the aisle? Not really. We are happy with where we are right now, and would like to really save a little bit of money before we have a wedding.
I thought it would be funny to compile a list of comments or questions that Dave and I have heard in the past. SO. Here is a list of 10 things that you could say to someone who isn't married if you want to make them uncomfortable.
- "Why would he buy the cow if he is getting the milk for free?" This is a little bit insulting. First of all, you just called me a cow. Second of all, I'd like to think that Dave likes me for more reasons than "the milk...."
- "It's just time for him to shit or get off the pot." This is kind of funny, but really? Thank you kind sir for your advice, but no thanks.
- "Clocks ticking... You two aren't getting any younger!" This is an accurate statement. Time does only move forward.
- "So do you guys believe in marriage?" Yes And I also believe that we will one day cure cancer, that the arts are significantly underfunded, and in the power of retail therapy.
- "Don't you want to give your parents grand babies?" Now, Dave and I are both 24... there is plenty of time to think about having babies.
- "Are you just one of those modern couples who just live together and never marries?" No, but would it be so bad if we were? There are so many different life styles today, what if we wanted to live that way.
- "You are just too absorbed in your careers." I have no words. Even though Dave and I are both career driven, doesn't mean that we don't love each other unconditionally.
- "I can't believe you guys have been together that long and aren't at least engaged yet." This is just weird to me. It makes it sound like there is some pre-set timeline that everyone should be on. I mentioned before that Dave and I started dating when we were in high school. And then we went to college. I mean, we were 16 year old babies back then!
- "I would just give him a deadline if I were you." Right. Because that doesn't sound incredibly insane and wrong.
- "You know you are living in sin, right." Yep. Fully aware. And actually these past two years of living in sin have been two of the the most fun years of my life.
The list could really go on. At this point we have heard them all. I'm sorry that this was a complete and total snark fest, but really people... act like you been somewhere.
Have you ever had people ask or comment about your personal life in an inappropriate way?